Be The Match Registry
Michigan Blood, as part of the National Marrow Donor Program's Be the Match® Registry, recruits potential marrow donors for patients across the country and around the world. Patients needing blood stem cell (marrow) transplants can only find a suitable match within their family about 30% of the time. The remaining 70% of matches are made between complete strangers via the Be the Match Registry. The more people who join, the more chances of a match for thousands of patients with leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood diseases. A marrow transplant is often their last, best chance for survival.
Joining the Be The Match Registry
Any healthy person between the ages of 18 and 44 can become a prospective marrow donor. All that's needed is a cheek-swab or blood sample and simple health questionnaire. Because testing is costly, a monetary donation is suggested.
History of the National Marrow Donor Program
Minorities are Especially Needed
While donors of all types may help save lives, there is a serious shortage of marrow/stem cell donors who represent ethnic minorities. Matches most often are found between people of the same ethnic group. Michigan Blood supports Be the Match Registry in its campaign to increase the ethnic diversity of its donor registry because a diverse group of prospective donors will give more transplant candidates a chance to find matches.
Organize A Marrow Donor Registry Drive
Marrow donor registry drives can be held separately or in conjunction with blood drives. A dual drive gives donors the opportunity to help save lives by donating blood and by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program's (NMDP) Be The Match Registry® at the same time.
Call our Marrow/Stem Cell Department toll-free in Michigan at 1-866-MIBLOOD (1-866-642-5663) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Marrow/Stem Cell staff will work with you to set a time and place, discuss funding options and also help promote your drive.