Donating Cord Blood
Umbilical cord blood is a rich source of stem cells. For people with certain life-threatening diseases, a transplant of stem cells from cord blood or marrow may represent the best hope for survival. The volume of stem cells needed for a transplant varies with a patient’s size. Two cord blood units are usually sufficient for transplant to an adult; one unit may be enough for a child.
Michigan Blood's Cord Blood Bank is one of only 16 public cord blood banks in the United States and was Michigan's first, established in 1999. Cord blood donated through the Michigan Blood Cord Blood Bank is listed on international databases to help patients anywhere in the world.
Donating is Safe, Easy, Free, and Anonymous
- Does not interfere with birthing.
- After uncomplicated delivery, doctor collects blood and sends to the Cord Blood Bank.
- No risk, no pain for mom or baby.
- No charge to donate.
- Donors’ names are not revealed to recipients.
To Donate Cord Blood
- Fill out the Preliminary Screening Form or call to complete a preliminary screening over the phone:
1-866-MIBLOOD (642-5663 – toll-free in Michigan) or 616-233-8604
- If using the screening form, print it and either:
– Mail to: Michigan Blood, PO Box 1704, Grand Rapids MI 49501-1704
– Fax to: 616-233-8559
Within 12 weeks of your due date, a donation kit will arrive by mail. Fill out the donation paperwork and mail it back to the Cord Blood Bank. We will then mail instructions to your doctor. Make sure to take the collection kit to the hospital with you when your delivery time arrives.
Where to Donate
- Borgess Medical Center - Kalamazoo, MI
- Bronson Methodist Hospital - Kalamazoo, MI
- Covenant Medical Center Harrison - Saginaw, MI
- Mercy General Health Partners-Hackley - Muskegon, MI
- Holland Hospital - Holland, MI
- Lakeland Hospital St. Joseph - St. Joseph, MI
- Lakeland Hospital Niles - Niles, MI
- Mercy Health Saint Mary's - Grand Rapids, MI
- Metro Health Hospital - Wyoming, MI
- MidMichigan Medical Center - Midland, MI
- Munson Medical Center - Traverse City, MI
- North Ottawa Community Hospital - Grand Haven, MI
- Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital - Grand Rapids, MI
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial Hospital - Fremont, MI
- Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital - Zeeland, MI
The Cord Blood Bank is funded in part by charitable donations.
Information for Cord Blood Collection Personnel