Donating Cord Blood
Umbilical cord blood is a rich source of stem cells. For people with certain life-threatening diseases, a transplant of stem cells from cord blood or marrow may represent the best hope for survival. The volume of stem cells needed for a transplant varies with a patient’s size. Two cord blood units are usually sufficient for transplant to an adult; one unit may be enough for a child.
Michigan Blood's Cord Blood Bank is one of only 20 public cord blood banks in the United States and was Michigan's first, established in 1999. Cord blood donated through the Michigan Blood Cord Blood Bank is listed on international databases to help patients anywhere in the world.
Donating is Safe, Easy, Free, and Anonymous
- Does not interfere with birthing.
- After uncomplicated delivery, doctor collects blood and sends to the Cord Blood Bank.
- No risk, no pain for mom or baby.
- No charge to donate.
- Donors’ names are not revealed.
To Donate Cord Blood
Fill out the Preliminary Screening Form and mail it to the Cord Blood Bank. Or call toll-free in Michigan 1-866-MIBLOOD (642-5663) or 616-233-8604 to complete a preliminary screening over the phone. Within 12 weeks of your due date, a donation kit will arrive by mail. Fill out the donation paperwork and mail it back to the Cord Blood Bank. The Cord Blood Bank will then mail instructions to your doctor. Make sure to take the collection kit to the hospital when your delivery time arrives.
Where to Donate
- Borgess Medical Center - Kalamazoo, MI
- Bronson Methodist Hospital - Kalamazoo, MI
- Covenant Medical Center Harrison - Saginaw, MI
- Mercy General Health Partners-Hackley - Muskegon, MI
- Holland Hospital - Holland, MI
- Lakeland Hospital St. Joseph - St. Joseph, MI
- Lakeland Hospital Niles - Niles, MI
- Metro Health Hospital - Wyoming, MI
- MidMichigan Medical Center - Midland, MI
- Munson Medical Center - Traverse City, MI
- North Ottawa Community Hospital - Grand Haven, MI
- Saint Mary's Health Care - Grand Rapids, MI
- Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital - Grand Rapids, MI
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial Hospital - Fremont, MI
- Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital - Zeeland, MI
The Cord Blood Bank is funded in part by charitable donations.
Information for Cord Blood Collection Personnel