Help support blood banks at local hospitals during the start of the busy summer season
With the first holiday weekend of the season, many people will travel to parades, cook-outs, and spend time with family and friends. This time of year also traditionally signals the start of the slow-down in blood donations.
Michigan Blood is encouraging donors to make an appointment to stop in one of our donor centers during the week following Memorial Day to help ensure an adequate blood supply at hospitals around Michigan.
“We know people get busy this time of year with outdoor activities, graduations and travel,” says Jim Childress, Vice President of Community Relations. “Still, the need for blood never takes a vacation, so we are asking people to set aside about an hour of time to help save lives.”
As a thank you during our Give and Go campaign, everyone who attempts to donate will receive a $10 Meijer gas card. Childress notes, “People are on the go more this time of year, so the cards are a simple gesture to say thanks for taking time out to help boost the blood supply.” Donors will also get the chance to enter a drawing to win a $1000 Meijer gift card.
Here are details for Give and Go in your area:
- Grand Rapids – 1036 Fuller Ave NE – May 28-30 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and May 31 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Traverse City – 2575 Aero Park Drive – May 28-30 from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and May 31 from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saginaw – 1771 Tittabawassee Road – May 28-30 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and May 31 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Dow Diamond – 825 East Main Street – May 28-31 from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Midland – 4005 Orchard Drive – May 28 from Noon to 7 p.m. and May 31 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Bay City – 1017 North Johnson Street – May 29 from Noon to 7 p.m. and May 30 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- St. Joseph – 2710 Cleveland Avenue – May 28 & 29 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Kalamazoo – 524 East Milham Ave – May 30 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and May 31 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Any healthy person 17 or older (or 16 with parental consent) who weighs at least 110 pounds may be eligible to give blood every 56 days. Blood donors should bring photo ID (or two forms of non-photo ID). Appointments (preferred, but not required) can be made online at www.miblood.org or by calling 1-866-MIBLOOD.